The other night, after seeing mold dot the entire flour tortilla I had just opened days ago, I discovered a new way to eat a burrito. Sunfood Superfoods Raw Vegan Coconut Wrap is super versatile and is a great low-carb, gluten-free alternative to tortillas, wraps and bread.
The coconut gives it a slightly sweet taste, but not in an overpowering way. I also realized that because of its paper-thin texture, it would be perfect for dessert crepes! (Upon my light bulb moment, I immediately Googled vegan Nutella and found this homemade vegan Nutella recipe plus Rawmio Hazelnut spread without palm oil and its devastating effects on forests, and Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Blend, which uses sustainable palm oil of which I’m still wary.)
Now, back to my black bean and veggie burrito I had for dinner the other night. Here are the ingredients I used for the filling:
- 1 can of organic black beans
- ½ package of Trader Joe’s Beef-less Ground Beef
- 3 small organic zucchinis
- 1 organic green bell pepper
- ½ can of Trader Joe’s Double Roasted Salsa
- Trader Joe’s Number Guacamole
- Field Roast Coconut Herb Chao Slices (vegan cheese)
- Garlic powder to taste
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
You just basically stir fry the ingredients, so this dish gets high marks on healthiness and simplicity.
- Chop up all the veggies. Add 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan, and once it’s hot enough, add the veggies, seasonings, and stir.
- After about 3 minutes, add the meatless grounds, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes. You’re just heating it up at this point. You can mix in the salsa if you want, or serve it cold after plating.
- Place about 3 spoonsful of the filling onto the center of the coconut wrap. Tear the vegan cheese slices and layer on top of the filling. Top it off with additional salsa and guacamole before folding it into a burrito.